The United States Department of Education requires every postsecondary institution receiving federal funds (Title IV) to have an academic progress policy that is used to determine a student’s continued eligibility for financial aid funding. The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy at Eastern University has three components:

  1. Completion of a Specified Percentage of All Credits Attempted
  2. Specified Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA)
  3. Completion of degree requirements is 150% of the published program length

PLEASE NOTE: For the purpose of satisfactory academic progress, financial aid includes all federal, state, and Eastern University funded scholarships, grants, discounts, work, and loans.

Review the complete Satisfactory Academic Progress policy for Eastern University.  This policy pertains to all programs and colleges of Eastern University, including Esperanza College, traditional undergraduate programs, adult undergraduate and graduate programs, and Palmer Theological Seminary.

Leave of Absence (LOA) Policy

Eastern University understands that there are times when extenuating circumstances arise and a student may need to take a temporary leave of absence from their studies for military reasons, jury duty, or for medical issues.

If a situation occurs that requires the student to temporarily withdraw from the University, the student must participate in an exit interview. For Undergraduate students, please contact your Residence Director or the Student Development Office. For Graduate students, please visit the Registrar's webpage. For Palmer students, please visit the Registrar's webpage. For Esperanza students, please contact your Student Advisor.

The Financial Aid Office will recalculate eligibility for all Federal, State and University aid based on the date the withdrawal takes place. If financial aid funding is returned, the student may owe a balance to the University. Students owing a balance should contact the Student Accounts Office to make payment arrangements- or 610-341-5831.

Additionally, students who withdraw from the University are not considered registered students. Therefore:

  1. Enrollment verification will be reported as “not enrolled” to lenders and loan servicing agencies. Students may need to contact lenders for information on possible repayment options.
  2. The University will not disburse any financial aid funds while a student is on a LOA.
  3. Students are not permitted to live in university housing, attend classes, or maintain student employment.

A student who withdraws due to personal medical reasons must have their attending physician submit written verification that the student is capable of resuming studies before the student will be permitted to return to studies.