Eastern University courses are either fully on-ground, blended/hybrid (part on-ground, part online) or online synchronous (fully online and scheduled to meet for live sessions at a specific day/time) or online asynchronous (fully online but not scheduled to meet for any mandatory live sessions at particular days/times). A level of technological competency and access to a laptop or computer is required to function effectively for all courses. Read the following sections outlining technology requirements and expectations for coursework.
• A laptop or desktop computer. Eastern University does not recommend Chromebooks or tablets/mobile devices for online coursework due to limited functionality.
• A working webcam and microphone, both of which may be either built into their existing computers or purchased as external devices.
||Windows 8 or higher, Apple OS X (10) or higher.
• An office productivity package such as Google Docs or Microsoft Office for PC or MAC¹.
• Anti-virus software -- Such as Norton or McAfee, etc.
• Adobe Reader
• Web browsers -- Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. (Note: Eastern IT encourages you to avoid using Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.)
||Dial-up is not permitted.2 A broadband connection (DSL, FiOS, cable, etc.) is required.
 Eastern students are eligible for the FREE Office 365 suite, including Word, PowerPoint, & Excel. Enter your Eastern email address at https://products.office.com/en-us/student/office-in-education to get started.
 Due to course requirements in an online delivery format (e.g., video conferencing and streaming, uploading and downloading large files), a dial-up connection is insufficient and high speed internet access is required.
Computer Skills Expectations
|• Use a word processing program such as Microsoft Word
||• Use additional technology such as scanners or printers
|• Navigate the Internet and Web sites
||• Send and receive emails, with attachments
|• Download documents and programs to a computer
||• Keep your software updated (e.g. -- Adobe Reader, web browsers, Microsoft Updates, etc.)
Visit the Student Technology Site to learn the basics of Eastern University's educational technology tools. I understand that this should take place prior to my first online course selection.
Note: As of January 2020, Brightspace can support Microsoft’s Edge web browser; but, the Brightspace managers at EU still do not recommend it as a first choice when interacting with the Brightspace website.
Use of your Eastern email account for all school-related communication is expected.