SGA gives students the chance to be more involved in policy making, procedural structure and decision making. Members of SGA give students a voice on committees around campus as well as voicing the concerns of fellow classmates on campus.
The mission of Eastern University’s Student Government Association (SGA) is to represent, protect, and provide for the interest of the Traditional Undergraduate Baccalaureate (TUB) student body as a whole; it serves as a means of facilitating open communication throughout the campus community and provides legislation for the advancement of the individual, the organization, and the university; it strives to maintain an environment for the promotion of student unity, academic prosperity, and the awareness of cultural diversity.
Who We Are
The Student Government Association, led by the Executive Board and elected annually by the TUB students, is made up of the president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, and chief justice. The Executive Board leads weekly meetings of the class officers who constitute the senate.
There are four elected class officers for each of the four classes. The senior, junior, sophomore, and first year class each have a president, vice president, treasurer, and secretary. General elections for the Executive Board as well as the senior, junior, and sophomore class officers are held at the end of the spring semester to serve the following year. First year elections are held each fall semester to serve the current year.
What We Do
SGA is Responsible for:
- Managing the budget allocation of SGA funded clubs and organizations
- Proposing changes and ideas to the University leadership, Administration and faculty
Examples of changes proposed by SGA and then implemented:
- Purchase of all fair trade coffee by food service
- A change in the visitation hours
- The Renewable/Green Energy Program. (All of EU’s electric energy is sourced from renewables.)
- Monthly SGA newsletter to the students
- Emerging adults closed door policy
- Putting on occasional events for the Eastern community.
Recent Events Include:
- Flag Football
- COVID-19 Candlelight Memorial
The Faculty Advisor for SGA is Jacqueline Irving, Vice Provost for Student Development. For more information, stop by the SGA office located on Walton ground floor in the far corner opposite of Zime or contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Watch for posters about running for office and getting involved in events and activities.