Your personal laptop or desktop is a valuable tool to be used during your time here at Eastern. We want you to use technology to the fullest! Your professors will use Brightspace and EU email to communicate with you, and you will be able to research, write, and produce documents and projects for class. You can form valuable collaborative and social relationships here at Eastern while in your residence hall room, or in Warner Library, or in the dining commons. Our Library setup includes ample electrical ports for recharging laptops.
Considering a Computer Purchase? Please Keep these Points in Mind:
- We welcome both PC and Mac products to our networks. Minimum specifications:
- (PC): Pentium i3, 8 gigs of RAM, 500 GB hard drive, or128 GB SSD drive, wireless, Windows 10 is required.
- (Mac): at least 8 GB of RAM, 500 GB hard drive, OS 10.0 and above.
- Chromebooks/iPads/Tablets can be helpful supplemental devices but do not have all the capabilities required for some classes.
- The Campus Bookstore has a selection of computers discounted by Dell that meet these requirements.
- You can order the computer online and have it shipped directly to your house.
- You do have the option to purchase one of these computers through the bookstore and charge it to your student account bill.
- All residence halls and main buildings provide wireless coverage. All residence hall rooms have a wireless access point and 4 ethernet jacks.
- A three (preferably four) year warranty is strongly recommended for your computer, as our Tech Services cannot perform hardware repairs.
- Our standard software package is Microsoft Office Professional, which includes Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. Educational packages containing Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are available. If the Office package is not included with your computer purchase, contact one of our vendors for the complete package: JourneyEd.com, and Follett, our university bookstore, offers books and online resources. Microsoft also offers a free version of Office 365 that contains Word, Excel and PowerPoint to qualifying universities, including Eastern!
- Active, updated antivirus software is required on each computer accessing our network. If you do not have current antivirus software on your machine, you can download Symantec, Kaspersky, or Malware-bytes.
- Wireless printers are not supported on our network. If you bring a printer, use a USB cord. There is low-cost printing available in the Library, Walton Hall, Sparrowk Lobby, and the Guffin Breezeway.
- While we are a Dell campus, and highly recommend them for their durability and excellent service and support, other brands such as Compaq\HP, Lenovo, Sony and Toshiba are also industry standards.