Upon completion of the PhD program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and competencies to identify, synthesize, critique, and apply scholarly literature pertaining to sound leadership theories and practices
- Demonstrate knowledge and competencies to identify, synthesize, critique, and apply scholarly literature pertaining to sound organizational theories and practices
- Demonstrate knowledge and competencies to critically discern sound research designs and methods from the literature
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge and competencies to design a significant research project utilizing robust qualitative/quantitative/mixed-method research designs and methods
- Conduct and disseminate original research according to best conceptual, methodological, and ethical standards
- Demonstrate critical self-reflection and competencies of integrating faith, justice, and ethics in the context of leadership scholarship and practice
- Demonstrate skills and a commitment to ongoing scholarship and/or leadership through active service and thought leadership
The mission of the PhD in Organizational Leadership at Eastern University is to develop students who are able to conduct pioneering, rigorous, and interdisciplinary research that advances the understanding and practice of leadership in diverse organizational contexts.
The PhD in Organizational Leadership Program provides rich, unique perspectives of other learners from distinct fields in business, education and nonprofit sectors.
The Business Management Concentration
The Business Management Concentration is designed primarily for those who have already earned an MBA or its equivalent and who therefore do not need another introduction to the essential disciplines of business leadership (e.g. marketing, finance, human resources, communications, etc.). Instead, this concentration utilizes an interdisciplinary approach to address practices and issues of concern to 21st-century leaders. The focus is on the business leader as decision-maker, consultant and scholar. The knowledge base, practice and academic skills acquired in this program will not only prepare the business leader to advance in his/her work but will also enable a transition to consulting and scholarly roles. The PhD in Organizational Leadership will prepare students with the necessary research skills to qualify them for teaching and scholarship at the university level.
- MNGT 750 Organizational Design
- MNGT 765 Leading in Community: People, Problem-Solving and Conflict
- MNGT 780 Training and Development
- MNGT 880 Consulting Practice
The Education Leadership Concentration
The Education Leadership Concentration serves two target groups, the university administrator and the senior management of K-12 systems. Graduates will also be qualified for teaching and scholarship at the university level.
- EDUC 750 Leadership and the Chief Executive Officer in Education
- EDUC 760 Equity, Justice, & Accountability in Educational Leadership and Policy
- EDUC 780 Advanced Study of Educational Law and Finance
- EDUC 880 Educational Leadership Practicum
The Nonprofit and Public Administration Concentration
The Nonprofit and Public Administration Concentration is designed primarily for those who have already earned a degree in business, leadership, nonprofits, Christian ministry, public administration, social work, health administration, or another related professional field and who want to extend and apply their academic background in the nonprofit or public sector in which they are currently employed. The primary focus of this program is on the nonprofit and public administrator as decision-maker and scholar. The PhD in Organizational Leadership will provide the tools, processes, and skills necessary to perform these roles.
- BUSA 750 Strategic Management of Nonprofit Organizations
- BUSA 760 Advocacy and Public Policy
- BUSA 770 Advancement, Fundraising, and Philanthropy for Nonprofit
- BUSA 880 Collaborative Leadership and Partnership
- Students belong to cohorts of about 15-20 peers and progress through the program together, often creating life-long learning communities.
This cohort-based program establishes lasting and supportive professional networks through ongoing collaboration with your peers.
- Our students access coursework online and attend three residencies per year at Eastern University. Learn more about the Blended Delivery Model.
The PhD in Organizational Leadership Program maximizes flexibility and convenience for you through a combination of online and in-residency learning.
To successfully complete the PhD program, students must earn 60 credits in foundation, concentration, research, and dissertation courses.