Dr. Sarah Anne Eckert is an Assistant Professor of Education at Eastern University, teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Dr. Eckert earned a PhD in Educational Theory and Policy from the Pennsylvania State University in 2011. Dr. Eckert has previously taught in a diverse array of educational institutions, including both K-12 Public and Private Education and Higher Education. Dr. Eckert’s research follows two distinct pathways—one focused on teacher education and the transition to practice and the other focused on the history of education in the United States. All of Dr. Eckert’s research and teaching is built upon a framework of social justice and service to those students who have previously been underserved.
Ph.D., Educational Theory and Policy, The Pennsylvania State University
BA, New York University
- EDUC 234
- EDUC 417
- EDUC 517
Dr. Eckert’s research focuses on the following areas:
- Teacher Education and the Transition to Practice
- Education for Social Justice
- The History of Education.
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- Bailey, D., Hufford, M., Emmerson, M., & Eckert, S. A. (2017). Identifying and living leadership in the lives of pre-kindergarten through 4th grade girls: Creating one intentional leadership identity development program. The Journal of Research in Childhood Education 31 (4), 487-507
- Hufford, M., Eckert, S. A., Hill, W. Bailey, D. & Emmerson, M. (Winter 2016). Living leadership in the Lower School. Independent School Magazine.
- Eckert, S. A. & Walker, K. (2015). Do engineering toys inspire tinkering? Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the National Coalition of Girls Schools June 2015
- Eckert, S.A, Gamson, D. A. & Liu, X. (2015). Lexical difficulty and diversity of first grade reading textbooks: Changes in the last 50 years. Part of the Symposium "Multiple Perspectives on the Complexity of First-Grade Texts Over the Past 50 Years," to be presented at the Annual Meeting of the Educational Research Association May 2015
- Stevens, R. J., Lu, X., Baker, D. P., Ray, M. N, Eckert, S. A., Gamson, D. A. (2015) Assessing the cognitive demands of elementary school reading curricula: An analysis of reading text and comprehension tasks from 1910 to 2000. American Educational Research Journal, 52 (3), 582-617.
- Savick, S. & Eckert, S. A. (2014). Lessons learned in strengthening and sustaining school-university partnerships. In Ferrara, Nath, & Guadarrama Creating Visions for University/School Partnerships: A Volume in Professional Development
- Maryland Teaching Consortium. (2014). Preparing educators for high poverty/culturally and linguistically diverse schools: A manual for teacher educators, teachers, and principals. Baltimore, MD: Maryland State Department of Education.
- Lu, X., Gamson, D. A., & Eckert, S. A. (2014). Lexical difficulty and diversity of American elementary school reading textbooks: Changes over the past century. International Journal of Corpus Linguistics, 19(1), 94-117.
- Gamson, D. A., Lu, X. and Eckert, S. A. (2013). Challenging the research base of the Common Core State Standards: An historical reanalysis of text complexity. Educational Research 42 (7), 381-391
- Eckert, S. A. (2013). What do teaching qualifications mean in urban schools? A Mixed-Methods study of teacher preparation and qualification. Journal of Teacher Education. 65 (1), 75-89
- Eckert, S.A. (2012). "HQT" Status is Not Enough to Improve Teacher Quality in High Poverty/High Minority Urban Schools: A Mixed-Methods Study. Paper presented at the 2012 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association: Vancouver, BC Canada.
- Gamson, D. A., Lu, X., Eckert, S. A., Knipe, H. & Hammerschlag (2012). Rereading Our Past: The Cognitive Demands of the Reading Curriculum, 1900-2010. Paper presented at the 2012 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association: Vancouver, BC Canada.
- Savick, S. L. & Eckert, S. A. (2012). Creating New PDS Sites: The Art of Building and Strengthening PDS Partnerships. Paper presented at the 2012 Conference of the National Association of Professional Development Schools: Las Vegas, NV
- Eckert, S & Mitra, D.L. (2011). Policy. In Education, Ed. Guthrie, J.W. Oxford Biographies Online. New York: Oxford Press, http://aboutobo.com/education/#4
- Eckert, S.A. (2011). The "National" Teacher Corps: A study of shifting goals and changing assumptions. Urban Education, 46 (5), 932-952.
- Eckert, S. A. & Gamson, D. A. (2011). Revisiting and reanalyzing 20th century reading textbooks. Paper presented at the 2011 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, New Orleans, LA.
- Eckert, S.A. (2010). Constructions of “the child”: The case of multicultural education textbooks. Paper presented at the 2010 Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Denver, CO.
- Puri, D. & Eckert, S. A. (2010). Pre-Service teacher perceptions of democratic classrooms. Paper presented at the 4th Annual New DEEL Conference, Philadelphia, PA.