This program is designed to prepare students to serve as K-12 Reading Specialists who support students and teachers through research-based approaches to assessment and instruction. The Specialist Certification programs are offered only at the graduate level and candidates must hold an Instructional I or II certification.
- Location: Online
- Enrolling New Students: August, January, May, and June
- Length: Varies based on incoming credits and credit load per semester. Typically completed in 12-24 months.
- Cost: View our affordable tuition rates. Receive a 20% Alumni Discount if you earned an undergraduate degree from EU!
- Financial Aid: Discover our partner grants, military benefits, and federal and state financial aid options that may be available to you.
- Convenient online classes
- Opportunity to put coursework towards the MEd in Reading
- Competitive tuition and financial aid options available
- Faculty with extensive experience in a variety of educational settings
- Individualized program of study created for each student based on previously completed coursework and current PDE requirements
- Hands-on experience through completion of Reading Specialist Practicum
PA Certification Requirements
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements before being recommended for a PA certification in their certification area.
- Hold a Instructional I or II Certification
- An exiting GPA of 3.0
- Successful Completion of course requirements in their certification area
- Successful Completion of PRAXIS II test (5302)
- Practicum taken under the supervision of a university faculty member who is also a certified Reading Specialist.
Learn More: Why Eastern?
Please check the State Authorizations page to determine if Eastern University’s program fulfills your state credentialing requirements. Students who seek similar credentialing in states other than Pennsylvania are advised to contact the appropriate credentialing agency within their home state to seek information and additional guidance about credentialing in your state of residence. Additional state or local district requirements may exist for field placements in this state. Out-of-state student placements cannot be guaranteed by the program or the College of Education. Students are responsible for following all state and local district requirements and regulations for their field placement.