Our Master of Education (MEd) in Special Education is offered online. The program will help you gain the knowledge and high leverage practices to provide excellent education to students with special needs. The MEd in Special Education prepares both teachers and those who want to serve in administrative positions for special needs students in Pre-K through 12th grade.
Online & Evening Philadelphia and Harrisburg MEd in Special Education
- Expert Professors: Eastern's curriculum is taught by experienced professionals who teach in the field and stay current in professional development.
- Theory Meets Clinical: Theory courses are merged with field experiences in a variety of settings, from public to private Christian schools and approved private schools for students with special needs.
- Online Coursework: Courses offered online for flexible learning.
- Individualized program of study created for each student waiving previously completed coursework and outlining current PDE requirements.
Ethically Sound: Students are trained to pursue educational equity and justice through creative solutions.
Foster Academic Excellence: Through innovative instruction, evidence-based practices, rigorous curriculum and comprehensive subject area knowledge.
Intern Certificate Availability: Earn your certification while teaching full time.
- Coursework for certification in Special Education embedded within the curriculum
- Commitment to Autism Training: Include our Autism Endorsement in your coursework or continue into the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies in Applied Behavior Analysis. Eastern is passionate about serving those on the Autism Spectrum through our College Success Program and with the Devereux CARES Campus Transition Partnership.
Two Track Options: PA Certification Requirements
If you anticipate that you will graduate by December 30, 2021:
- For Elementary Special Education (Pre K-8), you must hold Pre K-4, Elementary or Middle Level Certification
- For Secondary Special Education (7-12th), you must hold Secondary Education 7-12 Subject Certification
- Successful completion of PECT tests
- Pre K-8th Test: #8011 and #8012 (www.pa.nesinc.com)
- 7-12th Test: #8015 and #8016 (www.pa.nesinc.com)
If you anticipate that you will graduate after January 1, 2022:
- Complete coursework for the PreK-12 Special Education Certification
- Successfully complete PECT tests:
- The PreK-12 Special Education Certification Testing: In development by PA Department of Education
Learn More: Why Eastern?
Please check the State Authorizations page to determine if Eastern University’s program fulfills your state credentialing requirements. Students who seek similar credentialing in states other than Pennsylvania are advised to contact the appropriate credentialing agency within their home state to seek information and additional guidance about credentialing in your state of residence. Additional state or local district requirements may exist for field placements in this state. Out-of-state student placements cannot be guaranteed by the program or the College of Education. Students are responsible for following all state and local district requirements and regulations for their field placement.