Eastern's distinctive Master of Arts in Clinical Counseling trains students to comprehend human personality organization and experience; implement strategies for positive change in individuals, families, churches and communities; and become academically prepared to seek credentialing as licensed professional counselors. Take classes 100% online or in the evenings at our beautiful campus, conveniently located in the Philadelphia suburb of St. Davids.
- 3 Program tracks: General, Trauma Studies concentration or Applied Behavior Analysis Certification concentration (ABA).
- Location: 100% Online (General and ABA only) or Main Campus: St. Davids (all 3 tracks: General, ABA, and Trauma Studies)
- Delivery: 100% Online (General and ABA: synchronous and asynchronous classes) or Blended (all 3 tracks: a combination of evening, synchronous, and asynchronous online classes)
- Length: 3 years full-time, 4 years part-time (2 year Accelerated Track available for very strong applicants)
- Start Term: January and August (May for the Accelerated Track) [Note: January start is for part-time pace only]
- Cost: View our affordable tuition rates. Plus, if you already have a degree from EU, check out our Alumni Discount!
- Financial Aid: Discover our partner grants, military benefits, and federal financial aid options that may be available to you
100% Online or Philadelphia Area Master's in Counseling: LPC-Ready
- Prepares students for licensure as professional counselors in Pennsylvania
- Curriculum meets the educational requirements for Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) in Pennsylvania
- Concentrations available in Trauma Studies or Applied Behavior Analysis Certification
- Variety of elective choices available, including Substance Abuse Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy, Grief and Loss, and Autism and Applied Behavior Analysis
- Diverse faculty and student body form close community for rich learning experiences
- Faculty are practitioner-scholars who bring real experience from the field into the classroom
- Evening, on-campus, and hybrid / online courses offered, so students practice face-to-face skills needed for clinical encounters with clients
2 Year Accelerated Track
The MA in Clinical Counseling is accredited by the Master’s in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council (MPCAC) for the period of August 2014 through August 2025.
- Inclusion on a professional level: MPCAC values the unique history of the counseling field which intersects with both counseling psychology and psychology. Along with most experienced clinicians serving clients, MPCAC recognizes the benefit to the public in continuing to overlap these disciplines in counselor training. Students with backgrounds in psychology are welcome to apply and build upon their existing knowledge in preparation for becoming professional counselors.
- Inclusion on a personal level: MPCAC is deeply committed to promoting culturally responsive services that promote the public good. Their strong emphasis on diversity and social justice aligns with Eastern’s foundational commitments to justice, reconciliation, and transformation.
- MPCAC is recognized by the Council for Higher Education (CHEA) as an accrediting body for masters programs that “educate students in the science-based practice of counseling and psychological services.” (Read the letter of recognition). This means MPCAC has equal standing with other counseling program accrediting bodies.
Learn More: Why Eastern?
Please check the State Authorizations page to determine if Eastern University’s program fulfills your state credentialing requirements. Students who seek similar credentialing in states other than Pennsylvania are advised to contact the appropriate credentialing agency within their home state to seek information and additional guidance about credentialing in your state of residence. Additional state or local requirements may exist for field placements or practica in this state. Out-of-state student placements/practica cannot be guaranteed by the program or the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences. Students are responsible for following all state and local requirements and regulations for their field placement/practica coursework.