Undergraduate Students

Advanced Placement (AP) Course Equivalencies
College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Course Equivalencies

Applicants who earned the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science from a college or university that is institutionally accredited and endorsed by CHEA will receive credit for all courses completed in their degree programs. Other transfer students from institutionally accredited and CHEA-endorsed post-secondary institutions are granted transfer credit for college-level courses with final grades of C (with equivalent of 2.0 quality points on a 4-point scale) or higher. Courses with no Eastern University equivalent may be granted elective credit within the corresponding academic department. Technical, professional and pre-professional courses completed at accredited post-secondary institutions are considered individually and may qualify for up to 30 semester hours of transfer credit. Degrees and credits submitted for PDE certification purposes must be taken at a college or university program that has institutional accreditation recognized by the US Department of Education (and listed in the Higher Education Directory).

Eastern University will accept a maximum of 60 credit hours from any combination of Advanced Placement (AP),  International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), Excelsior College Examinations, DSST and validated college-level learning. (Students whose scores on Advanced Placement tests are 3, 4, or 5 may be granted academic credit for equivalent college courses as noted on the chart on Eastern's Office of the Registrar website, and may earn up to 30 credits for the International Baccalaureate Diploma exams with scores of 5, 6, or 7 as long as the credit does not duplicate equivalent college courses or AP exams in the same subjects.)

Eastern accepts credit for non-collegiate sponsored instruction and training programs as recommended by the American Council on Education. Distance learning may be accepted in transfer if the credit originates at an institutionally accredited and endorsed by CHEA college or university and is posted on an official transcript from that institution.

Credit for departmental exams and experiential learning posted on transcripts from institutionally accredited and endorsed by CHEA colleges and universities will be accepted in transfer. 

Grades and quality points from transfer institutions are not included in the Eastern University grade-point average for entering transfer students, although past performance is considered in judgment of academic progress.

Eastern University (EU) may award undergraduate credit for coursework completed at post-secondary institutions that are not institutionally accredited and endorsed by CHEA but are accredited by one of the following organizations:

Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) - Full credit is granted for courses with grades of “C” or higher posted to an official transcript.

Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE) – Partial credit is granted based on course-by-course evaluation of an official transcript if the student submits a petition and supporting material to the Registrar after completing 24 credits with grades of ”C” or higher at EU.

Accrediting Commission for Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) or Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) - Provisional approval is granted until three students from the same institution earn baccalaureate degrees from EU.  Up to 30 elective credits for specialized coursework and up to 6 credits for General Education will be considered on a course-by-course basis if the official transcript confirms conferral of a specialized associate degree. 

A student who successfully completed at least 24 semester credits at an institutionally accredited and endorsed by CHEA institution may petition for consideration of prior credit earned from a post-secondary institution that is not institutionally accredited and endorsed by CHEA or accredited by one of the organizations listed above.  Course syllabi and other supporting documentation must be provided with the petition. If the courses under consideration are judged to meet the University’s criteria for quality and college-level learning, partial credit will be awarded.

Eastern University requires the last 32 credits to be Eastern University credits. Therefore, transfer credits are limited to 88 undergraduate credits.

Graduate Students

A maximum of nine graduate semester credits may be transferred from another accredited graduate program with the approval of the director of the appropriate program and the dean. (Transfer credit is not accepted in accelerated, self-contained degree programs.) An official transcript for this coursework must be received by Eastern in order for the course to be transferred. No credit will be granted for courses taken at another institution in which the student has earned less than a grade of “B.”Course work to be taken at other institutions during the student’s enrollment at Eastern must be approved in advance.