Eastern University's undergraduate BS in Early Childhood Studies prepares excellent teachers and educational practitioners who can serve in a variety of early learning settings. Students are trained to communicate effectively, think critically, embrace cultural and linguistic diversity, utilize technology appropriately, practice inclusive interventions, learn independently and collaboratively, and serve competently in their chosen field.
- Delivery: Fully Online (Synchronous or Asynchronous)
- Length: Approximately 2.5 years or less (45 credits required in the major)
- Enrolling New Students: Every 7 weeks. Apply online for free!
- Cost: View our affordable tuition rates. Plus, if you already have a degree from EU, check out our Alumni Discount!
- Financial Aid: Many of our adult undergraduate students qualify for significant federal and state financial aid, partner grants, and military benefits. Students already teaching in early childhood education programs may be eligible for the T.E.A.C.H. Pennsylvania Scholarship Program. Submit your FAFSA to determine your eligibility for all financial aid.
Students already teaching in early childhood education programs may be eligible for:
- T.E.A.C.H. Pennsylvania Scholarship Program: covers most of the cost for tuition and books; provides a travel stipend each semester; secures paid release time for the student to attend class, study, or handle personal needs; secures a stipend or a raise for the student at the end of the scholarship year; and, assigns a counselor to assist students in scholarship management and career development.
Which Program is Right for Me?
|BS in Early Childhood Studies (this program)||BS in Early Childhood Education|
|Admission GPA Requirement: 2.5 or above||Admission GPA Requirement: 3.0 or above|
|No PDE Basic Skills requirements needed for admission||PDE Basic Skills requirements needed for admission|
|Student teaching not required||Student teaching required|
|Graduates can work toward their certification after graduation||Our Student Teaching Coordinator assists you in obtaining a PK-4 placement|
Evening Early Childhood Studies Degree
- Designed for the Working Adult: Evening classes allow students to work throughout the program, while developing strong relationships with faculty and peers.
- Expert Professors, Small Classes: Eastern’s curriculum is taught by experienced professionals who are current in Early Childhood Education’s latest developments. Students receive individual attention through small class sizes.
- Opportunities for Growth: Students can seamlessly transition in one of our seven MEd programs or add on one of our many specialist certifications or professional programs.
- Relevant, Applicable Training: The College of Education and Behavioral Sciences stays on the cutting-edge of research and best practices in the field and our curriculum incorporates teaching strategies that support and encourage adult learning.
- Growth in PA career pathway
- Child Care Industry
- Certified Teacher in PK-4th grade*
- Continuing Education options
*FAST FACT: The job outlook is currently greater than average for preschool teachers! (Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics)