Eastern University's undergraduate BS in Early Childhood Education prepares excellent teachers and educational practitioners who can serve in a variety of early learning and elementary school settings. Students are trained to communicate effectively, think critically, embrace cultural and linguistic diversity, utilize technology appropriately, practice inclusive interventions, learn independently and collaboratively, and serve competently in their chosen field. This program is designed for students who are interested in obtaining the Certification in Early Childhood Education (PK-4).
- Delivery: Fully Online (Synchronous or Asynchronous)
- Length: Approximately 2 years or more (around 60 credits required in the major, depending on credit evaluation)
- Enrolling New Students: Every 7 weeks. Apply online for free!
- Cost: View our affordable tuition rates. Plus, if you already have a degree from EU, check out our Alumni Discount!
- Financial Aid: Many of our adult undergraduate students qualify for significant federal and state financial aid, partner grants, and military benefits. Students already teaching in early childhood education programs may be eligible for the T.E.A.C.H. Pennsylvania Scholarship Program. Learn more below! Submit your FAFSA to determine your eligibility for all financial aid.
Students already teaching in early childhood education programs may be eligible for:
- T.E.A.C.H. Pennsylvania Scholarship Program: covers most of the cost for tuition and books; provides a travel stipend each semester; secures paid release time for the student to attend class, study, or handle personal needs; secures a stipend or a raise for the student at the end of the scholarship year; and, assigns a counselor to assist students in scholarship management and career development.
Which Program is Right for Me?
|BS in Early Childhood Education (this program)||BS in Early Childhood Studies|
|Admission GPA Requirement: 3.0 or above||Admission GPA Requirement: 2.5 or above|
|PDE Basic Skills requirements needed for admission||No PDE Basic Skills requirements needed for admission|
|Student teaching required||Student teaching not required|
|Our Student Teaching Coordinator assists you in obtaining a PK-4 placement||Graduates can work toward their certification after graduation|
Online & Evening Early Childhood Education Degree
- Designed for the Working Adult: Evening classes allow students to work throughout the program, while developing strong relationships with faculty and peers.
- Expert Professors, Small Classes: Eastern’s curriculum is taught by experienced professionals who are current in Early Childhood Education’s latest developments. Students receive individual attention through small class sizes.
- Opportunities for Growth: Students can seamlessly transition in one of our seven MEd programs or add on one of our many specialist certifications or professional programs.
- Relevant, Applicable Training: The College of Education stays on the cutting-edge of research and best practices in the field and our curriculum incorporates teaching strategies that support and encourage adult learning.
Early Childhood Education Conceptual Framework
Please check the State Authorizations page to determine if Eastern University’s program fulfills your state credentialing requirements. Students who seek similar credentialing in states other than Pennsylvania are advised to contact the appropriate credentialing agency within their home state to seek information and additional guidance about credentialing in your state of residence. Additional state or local district requirements may exist for field placements in this state. Out-of-state student placements cannot be guaranteed by the program or the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences. Students are responsible for following all state and local district requirements and regulations for their field placement.