Joined Eastern: 2008
My research interests include formal and free-verse poetry, essays, and memoir. I am interested in the New Formalism movement from my four years of work at the West Chester Poetry Conference. I am also interested more broadly in the pedagogy of the creative writing classroom.
I am also interested in higher education pedagogy, particularly the resources, support systems, strategies, and skills that can help students to succeed academically, socially, and spiritually.
I love education! I especially love higher education. For more than four years during my undergraduate and graduate careers, I gained practical experience teaching writing and grammar in writing centers at both Eastern and West Chester University. Since then I have taught first-year writing courses, as well as courses in research writing, analytical writing, critical thinking, journalism, creative writing, and interdisciplinary studies.
My particular interests include working with first-year students and with student publications. I am invigorated and inspired by the first-year experience, with all the emotions, transitions, and growth that go along with it. I also love helping students publish their work. I am the adviser for The Waltonian, the student newspaper on campus and am fascinated by the stories students want to tell. I also advise Inklings, the literary magazine on campus, which accepts student writing, artwork, and photography.
- College Writing
- Creative Writing
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- MA in Creative Writing, West Chester University
- MFA in Creative Writing, Rosemont College
- "The Strip," Lake Effect (forthcoming).
- "The Cowshed," Salamander (forthcoming).
- "The Cyclist," Cimarron Review (2015).
- "Facing It," Off the Coast (2013).
- "Seascape with Jellyfish," The Foundling Review (2013).
- "Map Song," Nimrod International Journal of Poetry and Prose (2011).
- "Urban Surrealism," Nimrod International Journal of Poetry and Prose (2011).
- "Sacrament," West Chester University Printing Press (2007).
- Curtis Institute of Music, Poem "Sacrament" set to music and performed (2008)
- Network for New Music, January 2008-First Prize poem, reading at Kimmel Center, Philadelphia