Residence Life: Frequently Asked Questions

Why is residency required?

Eastern University has always been a residential campus. We invest in new buildings as our population grows. All students are required to be resident students as long as space is available. That policy is on the deposit form that all students receive and return with their admissions acceptance and deposit.

Students who live in college-managed housing communities (residence halls) experience greater personal, spiritual and emotional growth, and are more engaged in college life overall.  This leads to better grades, more personal growth and an array of positive interpersonal skills that become valuable assets in later life in both jobs and the home (Kuh et al, 1991).

Ref: Kuh, G: Schuh, John H.; Whitt, Elizabeth J.; and associates, (1991) Involving Colleges, Jossey Bass, San Francisco

May I bring a car?

We strongly discourage First-Year students from bringing vehicles to the area. There are plenty of public transportation opportunities near campus, plus local shopping that is within walking distance. A very limited number of First-Year parking spaces are available by application on a first come, first serves basis. All vehicles are required to have a parking permit in advance of arrival. If you have questions about parking policies or procedures, please contact the Director of Safety & Security at 610-341-1720.

Do I need Renter's Insurance?

All students are advised to carry renter's insurance for their personal belongings. Whether in your room, in storage, or even during a storm, accidents happen. It is always better to be prepared. The University will not replace or reimburse in the event of loss of personal items for any reason.

Eastern University housing, while generally safe and secure, is not completely free from damage or thefts. While every effort is made to provide a secure, trouble-free environment, the college does not assume responsibility at any time for the private property of its students and is not liable for the loss of or damage to such property. You are strongly encouraged to look into renter's insurance with any reputable insurance company.

Should I bring my own computer?

It would be great if everyone could afford their own personal computer, but you do not have to have one. Eastern University has more than 80 computers in the library, residence halls, and computer labs for students to use for e-mail, internet, and writing papers.

If you do have your own computer, you can bring it with you to use in your room, and you will be able to access the University's server through Ethernet and/or wireless means. Don't forget your surge protector!

Do I need a phone/answering machine?

Most students bring a cell phone with them to college, however a student may have a land-line phone installed in their room by request to their RA at move-in.  The EU land-line phones have private voice-mail boxes that can be accessed from any other phone. Students who request that a land-line be installed in their room are given a personal account and are billed for all non-local (immediate area) and long distance calls made from the phone.

May I come see my room?

The residence halls are not available during the summer until the move-in date for tours during the summer as they are used for conference groups. If you tour Eastern through the Admissions Office, you will be able to see a room, but this room may not be the exact kind of room to which you have been or will be assigned.

What should I pack?

Helpful Hint - Call your roommate before you pack to get a sense of who is bringing what items.

* - All items marked with an asterisk are items that we suggest you share with your roommate

Basic Needs  

  • Extra Long Bed Sheets
  • Pillow
  • Desk Lamp (NOT Halogen)
  • Foam Mattress Pad
  • Trash Can and Bags
  • Small Fan *
  • Power Strip
  • Calendar
  • Flashlight (and extra batteries)
  • Stereo/ Radio
  • Hangers
  • Cleaning Supplies *
  • Posters/ Pictures
  • Sticky Tack (White ONLY)
  • Alarm Clock (and Batteries)

Small Appliances  

  • Coffee Pot * Iron/ Ironing Board*
  • Hot Pot * Microwave * Refrigerator (4 cubic feet or less) *
  • ** Check for frayed wires on all appliances*

Other Suggested Items  

  • Plants
  • Curtains
  • Bookshelf
  • Sewing/ Repair Kit
  • Coat Rack
  • Night Light
  • Bean Bag Chair
  • Maps of PA, DE, MD, and NJ
  • Markers
  • Pens Pencils
  • Printer Paper
  • Holiday Decorations
  • Umbrella
  • Food
  • Construction Paper
  • Storage Containers
  • Dictionary/ Thesaurus
  • Clothes
  • Drying Rack
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Dry Erase Board and Markers
  • Camera
  • TV/ VCR/ DVD Player
  • Rabbit Ears/ Antenna (no cable)
  • Video Game Consoles
  • Computer Ethernet Hub
  • Musical Instruments
  • Games
  • Movies
  • Sports Equipment
  • Day Planner
  • Coffee Mugs
  • Bowls/ Plates Cups Silverware
  • Paper Towels
  • Laundry Supplies
  • Quarters (Washers & Dryers $1)
  • Stationary and Stamps
  • Envelopes
  • Toiletries
  • Shower Caddy
  • Shower Shoes/ Flip Flops
  • Ear Plugs

What NOT to Bring

  • Any Large Appliance (NO open coils permitted on any appliance)
  • Large Furniture
  • Large Stereos
  • Expensive Equipment
  • Valuable Jewelry (to avoid them being damaged or stolen)
  • Pets (small fish tanks allowed)
  • Fireworks
  • Weapons
  • Candles or Incense
  • Alcohol
  • Tobacco
  • Drugs
  • Halogen Lamps/Bulbs  

What is an E-Card?

The E-Card is the Eastern University community identification and access card. It is issued to students by the Security Office upon entrance to the University.

USE: The E-Card must be carried by the student at all times to be presented upon request to Security Officers, any University employee, or Police. E-Cards are non-transferrable, may only be used by the student to whom it is issued, and become invalid upon termination of the student's association with the University. E-Cards should not be modified in any way (i.e. punching a hole in it), since this damages the card. "Loaning," attempting to falsify, or otherwise obtaining a counterfeit E-Card will result in disciplinary action.

The E-Card is used in the following ways:

  • To gain access to the Dining Commons for EACH MEAL and to use declining balance dollars (called Eagle Dollars).  Eagle Dollars may be added through the Food Service Office at 610-225-5051.
  • To gain admittance to Athletic Contests and other EU events.
  • To check out books from the library and to borrow University-owned materials.
  • To gain access to various campus buildings and facilities.

REPLACEMENT: An E-Card must be replaced if lost, damaged, or if there is a change of name. Replacement E-Cards are issued through the Security Office by visiting the Service Stop on the second floor of Walton Hall (office hours may vary). When obtaining a replacement E-Card, some form of official identification will be required. The student is responsible for use of his/her card until it is reported missing to the Security Office. A fee is assessed for the replacement of an E-Card.

MEALS: A valid and active E-Card must be presented for admittance to the Dining Commons for every meal. The E-Card allows only one admittance for each meal period. For problems concerning entrance to the Dining Commons for meals, or problems with Eagle Dollars, please see the Coordinator of Housing (Walton 202-A).

RESIDENCE HALL ENTRANCE: Some residence halls on the St. Davids campus require an activated E-Card to gain access. Please see the receptionist at the Service Stop on the second floor of Walton Hall if you have questions.

What are the visitation policies?

Residence hall visitation by members of the opposite sex is limited to a specific schedule found below:

Monday and Tuesday: 4:30 PM - 10:30 PM
Thursday: 4:30 PM - 10:30 PM
Friday and Saturday: 1:00 PM - 1:00 AM
Sunday: 1:00 PM - 10:30 PM

GUEST POLICY: Overnight guests are welcome under the proper conditions. No strangers (uninvited guests) may at any time stay in any of the halls. Male guests may stay on any of the men's floors and any female guests may stay on any of the women's floors, provided they are invited by:

  1. A resident of one of the residence halls.
  2. Another EU student who has made arrangements with a resident of any of the other residence halls.
  3. A faculty member or a member of the administrative staff who has made an arrangement with any of the halls for a guest.

All guests (including commuter students) must be registered with the Resident Assistant, with all forms properly filled out by 8 PM on the evening before their first overnight stay. There is no charge for overnight guests, but if an unregistered guest is discovered or the guest policies are violated, the student hosting the guest will be fined no less than $25, payable to the Student Accounts Office. There may be additional fines. Students are permitted to have overnight guests no more than 5 nights per semester, and no individual person is permitted to be a guest more than 5 nights per semester.

Various types of misconduct for which the guest will be asked to leave and the host will be subject to University disciplinary procedures include the following (see Eastern University Student Handbook for more information):

  1. Use, sale, distribution, and possession of marijuana and/or other illegal drugs.
  2. Gambling.
  3. Unauthorized possession or use of firearms (including air rifles and pistols), ammunition or explosives (including fireworks) in or on University-owned or University-supervised property.
  4. Unauthorized use of tabacco. Smoking is not permitted on campus or in areas adjacent to the campus.
  5. Use or possession of alcoholic beverages for any purpose.
  6. Failure to comply with the directions of University Officials in performance of their duties.
  7. Exhibiting dangerous or threatening behavior.

It will be assumed by the University that a resident student has knowledge of and is aware of, within reason, conditions existing within his or her room and activities taking place therein. Accordingly, a student will be held responsible for those conditions and for activities occuring in his/her room found to be in violation of University policies, even when policies are violated by his/her guest.

Guests who have strong disagreements with our Christian emphasis and are unable to support and respect the ideals of the University should make arrangements to stay elsewhere.

These guests regulations are in accordance with Pennsylvania's State Laws and Eastern University's Security Policies. Security regulations require that every campus guest be hosted by a specific current resident student who MUST accompany the guest at all times.

What type of bedding should I purchase?

The beds and matress sizes in the residence halls differ. We suggest having extra-long sheets to ensure that they fit. Better to have a little extra to tuck in than be short and not fit at all!

Eastern University has partnered with Residence Hall Linens, an ordering program to provide you with convenient and affordable bedding options and more!

Do I need a TV/DVD player?

You may bring these items with you, but we suggest one per room. Please talk with your roommate regarding the sharing of these items. It is not necessary to have a TV because one lounge in each residence hall is equipped with a TV. The TVs in the lounges are hooked up to cable, but cable access hookup is not provided in the residence hall rooms. Besides, who has time to watch TV when there is so much to learn and so many new people to meet?!? We also recommend that you purchase surge protectors for these items.

Can I have curtains in my room?

Each window has mini-blinds, therefore it is not necessary to have curtains in the rooms; however, one may choose to purchase a spring-rod and curtains to spice up the decor if desired. Wait until you arrive, and talk to your roommate. Specific measurements are not available as each room is slightly different.

What room furniture is provided?

Each room has closet space, a bed, a desk, a chair, and a dresser for each student. We have very limited storage space, so University furniture cannot be removed from the room. We discourage the use of lofts. Please do not bring one unless you have received permission in advance.

Can I loft my bed?

Since the University purchases furniture for all rooms, the use of lofts is not generally permitted. Students must get permission in advance to bring a loft, and must sign a loft request agreement. Loft request agreements will be available in the residence hall on move-in day. If you desire to loft your furniture, you should be sure to communicate this with your RA BEFORE you begin lofting. If you put a loft in your room, you have accepted the loft policy (below) and will be held accountable for the following:

  • At no time may any University-owned furniture be moved out of the room.
  • All beds and bed parts may remain in and be stored in the room.
  • Disassembled beds must be reassembled properly and securely by the students before check-out from the room, whenever that occurs.
  • No loft may be attached to the walls, floor, or ceiling in any way.
  • No loft may damage the room in any way.
  • All loft materials must be removed from the campus at check-out.
  • For fire safety reasons, no lofted bed may be placed directly underneath a sprinkler.
  • By bringing/constructing a loft, the student and his/her parents/guardians assume responsibility for the safety and sturdiness of the loft and for any damage charges or injuries to anyone resulting from the presence of the loft.
  • All roommates in the room where a loft is used assume equal responsibility for the items listed above, unless one roommate assumes full responsibility.

What is my mailing address?

Your Name                                                                                                    
Eastern University                                                                                                    
1300 Eagle Road                                                                                                      
St. Davids, PA 19087

Students will receive a specific box number during the first week of the semester, to be included in the address. However, until the student receives this information, this address will find its way to the student's mailbox as well.

Can I move in early?

The University is under no obligation to permit students to move in early and in fact there are many reasons this is not a good practice.

  1. Surity in the residence hall is a problem when there aren't other people around.
  2. Rooms aren't always ready. Conferences and Plant Operations are VERY busy throughout the summer with the residence halls.
  3. It is very lonely in the residence halls before check-in day. It's a very bad way to start the semester.
  4. There is little residence hall supervision in case of crises, etc.
  5. The semester's fees cover move-in day through finals, except breaks.
  6. We don't want the money. We want the compliance with these dates, so pay and stay is not an option for the sake of convenience.

Students who think they need to arrive early due to Athletics, Student Clubs, or Academic Organizations should inquire of their supervisor if they can receive approval from the Housing Office to arrive on campus early. Students who think they are experiencing an extenuating circumstance that the University should consider individually should contact their Residence Director with a rationale for their request to arrive early.

Approval to move in early is certainly not guaranteed and, if received, will be accompanied by an EXTRA FEE AND/OR REQUEST TO ASSIST THE RESIDENCE DIRECTOR WITH MANUAL LABOR TO HELP READY THE RESIDENCE HALL FOR MOVE-IN DAY. Students who show up early without receiving approval WILL BE FINED and not necessarily be given access to the building or to their room. It is also important to note that storing luggage in the residence hall early also constitutes an early move-in, and thus is subject to this same early move-in request process.

Students who are on campus early because they have been approved, but GIVE RESIDENCE HALL ACCESS TO A STUDENT WHO HAS NOT RECEIVED APPROVAL TO MOVE IN EARLY will be subject to fines and disciplinary action as well.

Can I bring a small appliance?

We permit small appliances in the residence halls. Appliances must be in good working condition and may not have an open coil. Those permitted are: small microwaves, small refrigerators (no larger than 4 cubic feet), toasters, toaster ovens, and hot pots. All appliances must be in good working order: no frayed cords, no exposed wires, etc. No hot plates, space heaters, or halogen lamps/bulbs are permitted. Please contact your roommate to decide who will bring which item(s), and we recommend that you purchase surge protectors for these items as well.

Does my residence hall room have air conditioning? What should I do if I have a medical need for it?

Eagle Hall, Gallup Hall, Gough Hall, and Sparrowk Hall are completely air conditioned. The East section of Hainer Hall is also air conditioned. Returning students should bring written documentation from a personal physician explaining the medical need for the student to be housed in air conditioned living space to Housing Selection Night, so the student can assure placement in an air conditioned residence hall space.

Incoming students should be sure to communicate on the Housing Contract their medical need for air conditioning before they submit it to the University. Incoming students who are placed in non-air conditioned housing but medically require air conditioning will need to submit a request for air conditioning approval. This request should be handwritten (or emailed from the student's Eastern e-mail account) and submitted to the Student Development Office either personally or via fax at 610-341-1705. This request should include the medical documentation and communication from a personal physician stating the necessity for air conditioning.

If the request is approved, the student will receive an email granting them permission to provide their own small, energy-efficient room size window air conditioning unit. Students are reminded that they are responsible for any damage the installation of this device causes to the room, window, or sash. Students are also responsible for not overloading electrical circuits and making sure the unit is grounded properly. No extension cords, except "heavy duty" type cords may be used. Students are encouraged to seek help installing these units from Plant Operations.

What about housing during breaks and the summer?

EASTERN UNIVERSITY RESIDENCE HALLS ARE CLOSED OVER ALL BREAKS. ANY EARLY ARRIVALS OR LATE STAYS MUST BE APPROVED BY YOUR RESIDENCE DIRECTOR. Contact your Residence Director for more information. Any student who needs to be placed in a host home over breaks should notify his/her RD well in advance of the break. The Housing Office will arrange a home-stay with an EU Employee or a student host family for the duration of the break.

General Break Guidelines

For winter break (at the end of the Fall semester) and for May close-down (at the end of the Spring semester), students must be out of their room no later than 24 hours after their LAST final! Graduating seniors are able to stay until Commencement, and must be checked out by 5 PM that day. All other breaks, including Thanksgiving, Spring and Easter, have an advertised deadline to be checked out of the residence hall.

We do not allow early arrivals after breaks or late stays before breaks. If you feel that you must ask for an exception, please contact your RD ASAP. The following are some basic guidelines for getting your room ready for a break check-out. Always check with your RA for more details:

  • Unplug everything in the room.
  • Close and lock all windows.
  • Close the window blinds.
  • Empty your trashcan(s).
  • Turn off all room lights.
  • LOCK YOUR ROOM DOOR! You will not be allowed in your room over ANY break. Take everything that you might need at home. Your RA and RD will be entering your room to check that these things have been completed.

Having trouble finding a place to stay over break? Please contact the Coordinator of Housing for suggestions.

Summer Housing Information

Summer Housing is available on a limited basis and subject to availability on the St. Davids campus for University resident students who were resident students the previous Spring semester and are assigned housing for the following Fall semester and who are working in the area, taking summer classes, or are working for the University.

An application for Summer Housing must be submitted and approved before a contract can be signed and a room assignment made. Students who hope to live on the St. Davids campus while working on campus in the summer will need to have a job secured with a supervisor PRIOR to submission of the application to the Housing Office.

Is there storage in the residence halls?

Students should be prepared to remove all of their belongings from their rooms when they leave the University for the summer months or within 24 hours of withdrawing from the University.

Some of the Residence Halls have a very limited amount of storage space, so please plan on storing your personal belongings in your room. The storage is only available if special permission is given by the Residence Director (RD).  If permission is given, all articles are to be placed in closed boxes and labeled "Property of (student's name)."  The security and safety of all items in storage are at the risk of the student. The University will not accept responsibility for the loss or damage of a student's personal property at any time.

During the academic year, all belongings must be kept in the student's room. Students who live a long distance from the University may request to place cartons and other containers in storage at their own risk.  However, all articles left in storage must be removed by the end of the first full week of classes each semester.

Students who are not currently enrolled in classes may not use storage areas. Any items left in storage after a student has graduated or withdrawn from the University will be donated to a charitable organization.

If you have any other questions, contact the Coordinator of Housing.

Back to Top