What do you need in order to apply to the program?
- Applicants must have earned a prior baccalaureate degree in any major from an institutionally accredited and endorsed by CHEA institution with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Applicants must have earned a combined GPA of 2.75 in the prerequisite science courses including Anatomy and Physiology I & II, Chemistry and Microbiology.
- All pre-requisite courses must have been completed within seven years of their intended start date.
Applicants who do not meet GPA or prerequisite requirements should submit a 1-2 page GPA Explanation Letter that provides additional context to their academic record, and communicates why the applicant feels prepared to succeed in the second degree nursing program. Please note that this should be a separate submission from the personal essay. Submission of this document is to provide further context for the admissions review, but does not guarantee admission.
How Do You Apply?
- Complete the Adult Undergraduate Online Application form
- Send your official transcripts from all postsecondary colleges, universities, graduate, and professional schools that you have attended for credit.
- How to Request a Transcript: View FAQs about requesting a transcript from your previous school(s).
- Applicants with coursework completed outside of the USA must submit a course by course evaluation of the transcripts of these courses from World Education Services, SpanTran, or any NACES affiliated service provider listed here.
- Applicants with degrees that were not taught in English may be asked to submit a current TOEFL or IELTS exam. Please discuss this requirement further with your enrollment representative if your degree was not taught in English.
- Submission of a personal essay (300-500 words) describing how the Second Degree Nursing Program will help you achieve your personal and professional goals.
- Submit a resume listing academic and work experience.
- Recommendation letters are not required for applicants who meet the admissions requirements explained above. However, they are required from applicants who do not meet the GPA or prerequisite requirements. In these cases, applicants must submit two recommendation forms. Instead of sending actual letters, recommenders can submit the recommendation form. References should be current or former supervisors, instructors, or academic advisers. One academic and one professional recommendation are preferred.
- Applicants who do not meet GPA or prerequisite requirements should submit a 1-2 page GPA Explanation Letter that provides additional context to their academic record, and communicates why the applicant feels prepared to succeed in Eastern's BSN2 program. Please note that this should be a separate submission from the personal essay.
What are the prerequisites?
Anatomy & Physiology I & II- 8 credits
Chemistry- 4 credits
Microbiology- 4 credits
Nutrition*- 3 credits
Statistics* - 3 credits
Psychology*- 3 credits
Credits- 25 credits
*General Studies Courses offered at Eastern University
What can I do if I am missing some of the prerequisite courses?
You may satisfy your prerequisites by taking the courses at Eastern University or any other accredited college or university. Most students needing prerequisites complete them at local community colleges, or through online options like PortageLearning.com or StraigherLine.com.