Eastern University's Certification in Middle Level Education prepares excellent educators who apply the knowledge, concepts, and skills essential for successful middle level instruction, grades 4-8. Students are trained to communicate effectively, think critically, embrace cultural and linguistic diversity, utilize technology appropriately, practice inclusive interventions, learn independently and collaboratively, and serve competently in their chosen field. This program is designed for students who are interested in obtaining the Certification in Middle Level Education (4-8).
- Location: Online
- Delivery: 100% Online (with no required live online sessions except for the Student Teaching Seminar, which requires live online sessions.)
- Length: Varies based on incoming credits and credit load per semester. Typically completed in 8-24 months.
- Enrolling New Students: August, January, May, and June
- Cost: View our affordable tuition rates. Plus, if you already have a degree from EU, check out our Alumni Discount!
- Financial Aid: Discover our partner grants, military benefits, and federal and state financial aid options that may be available to you.
100% Online. Meets PDE Requirements. 4 Starts Per Year.
- Individualized program of study created for each student based on previously completed coursework and PDE requirements
- Intern certificate eligibility
- Multiple concentration options
- Specialize in working with students on the Autism Spectrum by continuing into the MEd in Special Education and Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies in Applied Behavior Analysis. Eastern is passionate about serving those on the Autism Spectrum through our College Success Program and with the Devereux CARES Campus Transition Partnership.
For course descriptions, see our course catalog.
Single Area Concentrations
- English/Reading Concentration and Focus in Social Studies, Science and Math
- Math Concentration and Focus in English/Reading, Science and Social Studies
- Science Concentration and Focus in English/Reading, Math and Social Studies
- Social Studies Concentration and Focus in English/Reading, Science and Math
Combined Concentrations are also available
Learn More: Why Eastern?
Please check the State Authorizations page to determine if Eastern University’s program fulfills your state credentialing requirements. Students who seek similar credentialing in states other than Pennsylvania are advised to contact the appropriate credentialing agency within their home state to seek information and additional guidance about credentialing in your state of residence. Additional state or local district requirements may exist for field placements in this state. Out-of-state student placements cannot be guaranteed by the program or the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences. Students are responsible for following all state and local district requirements and regulations for their field placement.