Eastern’s new 100% online MEd in Educational Leadership prepares teachers to become leaders and change agents in their schools and districts. The dynamic curriculum covers current practices, compares those to leading national and international exemplars and inspires students to think critically about the role of educational leaders today. While earning an MEd, complete coursework (including an internship) toward your Principal or Single Area Supervisory Certification.
- Location: Online
- Delivery: 100% Online (with no required live online sessions except for the Student Teaching Seminar, which requires live online sessions.)
- Length: 18 months
- Start Dates: August, January, May, June
- Cost: View our affordable tuition rates
- Financial Aid: Discover our partner grants, military benefits, and federal and state financial aid options that may be available to you
Distinctive 100% Online Master of Education
- MEd + Administrative or Supervisory Certification in 1: While earning your MEd, your coursework (including internship) will prepare you for Principal or Single Area Supervisor certification.
- Single Area Supervisor certification offered in Special Education K-12, Foreign Languages PK-12, Health and Physical Education PK-12, Mathematics 7-12, Music PK-12, School Health Services PK-12, Science 7-12, Social Studies 7-12.
- Experts in the Field: Eastern’s curriculum is taught by experienced professionals who have practical experience as principals and educational leaders. Instructors make use of research to keep themselves and the students informed of current best practices.
- Practical: Online coursework is convenient for working teachers.
- Relevant: Students have the chance to immediately apply the knowledge and strategies to work in their schools and programs. The program focuses on evidence-based practices, research methods, and current issues including state and national standards affecting curriculum.
- Collaborative: Gain insights from your peers as you pursue a specialty track in principalship or supervision.
PA Certification Requirements
Applicants must fulfill the following requirements before being recommended for a PA certification in their certification area.
- Single Area Supervisor: 5 years of satisfactory professional experience as a certified teacher in the supervisory certification area
- Principal: 3 Years of satisfactory professional experience as a certified teacher in the supervisory certification area
- An exiting GPA of 3.0
- Successful completion of course requirements in their certification area
- Successful completion of the Educational Leadership PRAXIS II test
- Successful completion of 360 hours of internship under the supervision of a mentor certified in your desired certification area
The MEd in Educational leadership prepares current teachers for a wide variety of leadership roles at the school and district level. The successful completion of the Principal Certification track will prepare students to serve as a PK-12 Principal or Assistant Principal. The successful completion of the Single Area Supervisor Certification track will prepare students to provide supervision for grade levels PK-12 within a specified instructional or educational service area of the curriculum or school program (Special Education K-12, Foreign Languages PK-12, Health and Physical Education PK-12, Mathematics 7-12, Music PK-12, School Health Services PK-12, Science 7-12, Social Studies 7-12).
Learn More: Why Eastern?
Please check the State Authorizations page to determine if Eastern University’s program fulfills your state credentialing requirements. Students who seek similar credentialing in states other than Pennsylvania are advised to contact the appropriate credentialing agency within their home state to seek information and additional guidance about credentialing in your state of residence. Additional state or local district requirements may exist for field placements in this state. Out-of-state student placements cannot be guaranteed by the program or the College of Education. Students are responsible for following all state and local district requirements and regulations for their field placement.